Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A day in the life, or, what does reincarnation matter anyway?


Woke up at 6:20, hit the snooze button, got out of bed at 6:30. Showered. Shaved, made myself pretty with some aftershave and a skosh of pomade in my hair, then swallowed my medicine before I could forget. Groped my way slowly in the dark to our closet, fumbled the door open, pulled the string to turn the overhead light on. Found tthe clothes I would wear for the day, and still naked, went back through the bedroom and into the living room. Dressed and let one dog outside.


For breakfast I cut a slice of HEB sour dough bread in half, put peanut butter on one half, blackberry jelly on the other, and poured myself a glass of milk. I watched Spongebob Squarepants while I ate. Let the other dog out, let the first fog back in, and while the other dog did his thing outside, I made a lunch to take to work with me from the leftover salad and tortilla soup my wife had made the previous night.


Fed the dogs and then ran for door, running twenty minutes late.


On the way to work thought about a few things.


Do I believe in reincarnation? My life certainly seems to be focused on tyring to be the best person I can so that I will never have to come back here again. How much work on myself can I do? What do I do when I start to see diminishing returns? Is working so hard counterproductive to reaching my goal? At what point do I unapologeticly accept myself? It can really feel good to not worry about who I am, to just enjoy what I am doing.


What if when we die there is nothing more?


Arrived at the garage and walked in the cold to my building. Not much work to do again. Surfed the Internet, set this blog up. Smoked a clove with Jeff.


Lunch was good. Slept for a half hour and woke myself up once with a gentle snore. I coughed in case anyone heard me, hoping this would keep them from wondering how long I had been asleep. I liked the weight of my sweater and jacket on my chest while I was kicked back in my chair.

Smoked another clove with Jeff and did the modicum of work that was available to do.


Felt pretty baseline today. I'm getting nervous and excited about the New Year's party. Can't wait to maybe have a couple of drinks with A. tonight and shoot zombies in the face with her. Left 4 Dead is a hell of a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment